USU Calendar Frequently Asked Questions
Table of Content
- What sorts of events are appropriate for the university Events Calendar?
- What are my responsibilities when I post an event?
- What are the categories? (type, location, sponsor, sub-sponsor)
- I cannot access all the sponsors and/or sub-sponsors
- My event is a one day event, what should I do?
- My event is a day event and is recurring. What do I enter in the "StartDate, EndDate," and "Recurring" form?
- When should I choose the "All Day" option?
- What is the "Open to" form input?
- How do I edit my event?
What sorts of events are appropriate for the university Events Calendar?
Events in the university Calendar should be university events ONLY. With rare exception, these are events that take place at a campus location or, if off campus, are events directly sponsored by a campus entity.
The university Calendar of Events is intended for university events that are:
- open to the general public; or
- open to interested members of the university community such as students, faculty, alumni, staff, or parents
- sponsored by an officially recognized campus department or unit; a recognized or sponsored student group; student government unit; or a sponsored departmental or campus organization.
- Events open only to an invited audience are not appropriate for the university Events Calendar.
- Office hours, course schedule or sign up timeframe are not appropriate for the calendar as they are not ongoing events. Registration deadlines can only be submitted for the first day of registration and the last date of registration. Please send one event for each day.
- Campus sales are limited to student organizations and fundraising events.
What are my responsibilities when I post an event?
Although you are submitting the event, you must provide the name, telephone, and email of the group, office, or department that is sponsoring the event. If you are the person sponsoring the event, provide your contact information. Calendar users should be able to contact someone in case they need more information. Contact information is also required for the calendar administrator to validate events posted by unregistered posters.
Make sure you use the form fields correctly. Room number, url, admission information, and fees have their own input fields in the form. Do not insert this information in the description or the title.
The description should include well-written sentences and tell people why they should attend. Do not just repeat the title.
If your event is cancelled, or if you need to have it updated, please contact the calendar administrator to edit your event.
What are the fields type, sponsor, sub-sponsor, category, location?
These fields create groups of events. They are used to narrow the results so that people can search for only the events that particularly interest them. Please categorize every event that you submit.
The "type" selection field is required. The current list of types should meet the needs of all groups on campus. However, if you feel that an important type is missing from the list, contact the calendar administrator.
"Sponsors and sub-sponsors" list the main campus entities. If a sponsor isn't listed, you can use "Other." After you choose a sponsor, the sub-sponsor list will be updated if any choices are availble under that sponsor. You cannot choose multiple sponsors or sub-sponsors. If you select "multiple sponsor" in the sponsor list, please specify who they are in the description. If you think a sponsor is missing, contact the administrator.
"Categories" are specific to each sponsors. After you choose a sponsor, the category list will be updated if any choices are availble under that sponsor. If you think a category is missing, contact the administrator.
The "location" list provides of commonly used locations. If a location isn't listed, select "other," and specify the location in the description.
My event is a one day event, what should I do?
In this case, there is no recurrence. Enter the SAME date in "startDate" and "endDate" and leave the recurrence selection on "No recurrence."
My event is a day event and is recurring. What do I enter in the "StartDate, EndDate," and "Recurring" form?
If your event is recurring, select the first day it is happening for the "Start Date" and the last day it is happening for the "End Date," then select a type of recurrence (daily, weekly, or monthly).
Daily recurrence: For example, if your event recurs every day for three days, choose "Daily" and choose every "Day."
- IMPORTANT: Daily recurrence doesn't allow more than seven days of recurrence. If your event recurs daily for more than 7 days, you should choose "Weekly" recurrence.
Weekly recurrence: Choose "Weekly" recurrence if your event recurs on certain days of the week for one or more weeks. For example, if your event recurs for five weeks every Tuesday, setup your "startDate" and "endDate" for the five weeks, choose "weekly" recurrence and check "Tuesday."
- IMPORTANT: Weekly recurrence doesn't allow a timeframe greater than six months (a semester).
Monthly recurrence: Choose "Monthly" if your event recurs once a month or on certain days of the month. For example, if your event recurs every 15th of the month, every two months, select "Monthly" recurrence, select every "two months" and select which day it recurs.
- IMPORTANT: "Monthly" recurrence doesn't allow a timeframe greater than a year.
My event is ongoing for more than a day. What should I submit?
If your event is ongoing (for example an overnight event, or extending over multiple days), select the first day it is happening as the "Start Date" and the last day it is happening as the "End Date," but DO NOT choose a recurrence.
When should I choose the "All Day" option?
"All day" means that your event is happening during most of the day you have chosen as your "Start Date." For example, this would apply to events happening during office hours throughout the day (8am-5pm.) Make sure you select the correct time, even if you choose that option. "All Day" is optional, you can also simply set the correct "Start Time" and "End Time."
What is the "Audience" form input?
This is a required option. This allows you to select different groups or audiences on campus such as "Students," "Faculty," "Staff," "Alumni," "Public," or "Parents." Please check all audiences that apply.
How do I edit my event?
You cannot edit or delete events. Contact the calendar administrator to request an update. Please include a link to the event you are referring.